New York, NY | January 21, 2020
About Apex For Youth
Apex for Youth delivers possibilities to underserved Asian and immigrant youth in New York City by providing mentoring, educational, and enrichment programs for students from pre-K through 12th grade. Apex staff and volunteers guide and inspire youth to become confident young adults who are ready for college and give back to the community. Apex was founded in 1992 and celebrated its 25th anniversary in 2017.
At this time, when we are witnessing the surprisingly robust presidential run of Andrew Yang and the success of such films as Crazy Rich Asians, Farewell, and Abominable, we are in a climate in which Asian American issues are finally being highlighted and explored. Implicit in fostering Asian American representation across all disciplines is the critical need to support our most vulnerable populations, including underserved Asian and immigrant youth.
Apex for Youth is leading the charge. Since 2011, we have grown from serving 100 youth a year to a $4M organization with almost 20 full-time staff members serving 1,000 youth with the help of more than 300 volunteers. With an engaged Board of Directors, a strong reputation, and a committed donor base, Apex is positioned for growth and plans to continue to expand its programs and services, providing a positive impact on our youth, ensuring they are confident, career-ready, and community-minded.
We are a force for community-building. We bring Asian-Americans to the table to develop platforms and pipelines so young people can gain equal footing. Additionally, we are part of local and national conversations on how we better serve our Asian youth and provide opportunities for their educational and personal growth.
For more information about the organization’s work, please visit http://apexforyouth.org.
Apex for Youth is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other applicable legally protected characteristics.
About The Executive Director Opportunity
Apex for Youth is seeking a talented and committed Executive Director to build on the attention the Asian-American community is getting today to lead the organization into its next phase of growth and impact. Having experienced some recent leadership transition, Apex is seeking an experienced nonprofit leader to partner with the Board and staff to create a sustainable strategic plan in response to community needs and execute against that strategy with strong programmatic, financial, and operational processes. The Executive Director will also work closely with the highly-engaged Board to diversify and strengthen the organization’s funding base in support of program growth. They will serve as a primary external presence for the organization, developing partnerships, increasing visibility, and building thought leadership throughout the City. This is an exciting opportunity for a strong executive to provide the critical leadership that will strengthen and grow this important organization.
Specifically, the incoming Executive Director will:
- Serve as an inspirational leader for Apex, working with the Board and staff to create a strategic vision for the organization and leading the execution of that vision to ensure continued impact and increased sustainability
- Provide clear and supportive management to a talented staff that is dedicated to the organization’s success and constituents
- Build a culture of professionalism, clarity, transparency, and collaboration, including use of metrics for decision-making as well as development of clear and effective systems for communication and accountability
- Assume overall operational and fiscal management and accountability for the organization, ensuring that Apex is maximizing impact and effectiveness while building a model for sustainability
- Partner closely with the Board of Directors to support the organization’s vision and strategy, leverage Board members’ experience and expertise, and ensure effective communication and clarity of roles as the organization moves forward
- Collaborate with the Board to ensure strong governance and continued success with fundraising
- Serve as a persuasive and compelling spokesperson for Apex by effectively representing its mission, goals, and programs to a variety of stakeholders, both internal and external, in order to build Apex’s impact and position as a leader in issues related to Asian youth and immigrants
- Cultivate and grow relationships to strategically increase Apex’s funding and donor base
Candidate Profile and Qualifications
As the incoming Executive Director, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following characteristics and qualifications:
- At least 10 years of professional experience in positions of increasing responsibility; nonprofit leadership experience strongly preferred
- Experience working closely with an engaged Board of Directors, ensuring clarity of roles and effective communication and decision-making
- Ability to lead a strategic planning process, creating clear goals, ensuring buy-in from stakeholders, and building a sustainable business model that addresses the ongoing needs of the populations served
- Ability to lead across all aspects of organizational management, including financial and operational leadership, organizational development, program, and fundraising, including effective use of data to drive decision-making and culture
- Excellent staff management skills, with the ability to balance building a strong and supportive culture with accountability and inspiration
- Knowledge of New York City’s Asian-American populations is strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
Compensation and Benefits
Apex for Youth offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
Apex for Youth has engaged Cassie Scarano of Koya Leadership Partners to lead this search. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume, addressed to the Apex for Youth Search Committee, here.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners, a member of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.