Flexible Location, US | December 3, 2020
About All Our Kin
All Our Kin is a nationally recognized nonprofit organization that trains, supports, and sustains family child care providers to ensure that children and families have the foundations they need to succeed in school and in life. At All Our Kin, we support family child care providers at every stage of their development – from parents and caregivers to professional educators and business owners – using a strength-based, high-touch approach.
We serve over 850 family child care educators with networks representing five Connecticut cities and New York City, in addition to the surrounding communities. Through our programs, family child care providers succeed as early childhood educators and small business owners; parents have access to high-quality, affordable child care, making it possible for them to enter into and remain within the workforce; and infants and toddlers gain the enriching experiences that prepare them to succeed in school and in life. We have built this model with an intentional commitment to examining racial, gender-based, and socioeconomic inequities and to working against systems of oppression to support equitable opportunities, outcomes, and mobility for all of our caregivers, children, and families.
All Our Kin is recognized as a national model and has been proven through quasi-experimental studies to raise the quality, availability, and sustainability of family child care. In addition to growing our networks, we also act as the leading advocate for family child care and provide technical assistance to a broad range of communities nationally.
To learn more about our work, please visit www.allourkin.org.
All Our Kin recognizes that diversity and opportunity are fundamental to children’s lives and to our work, and we seek to build a team that reflects the diversity we celebrate in our nation and community. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share our vision, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law.
The Communications Director Opportunity
The incoming Communications Director will support our continued growth by building visibility for the work we are doing to advance family child care and racial and gender equity. As our first-ever communications hire, the Director will develop and lead a comprehensive communications strategy focused on connecting our work to a diverse range of external audiences through compelling storytelling that centers our providers, children, and families. The Director will both create our communications plan and roll up their sleeves in order to implement this plan, working in partnership with team members throughout the organization. They will report to our Co-Founder and CEO and engage her in defining and delivering key messages about our work.
- Plan, build, and implement All Our Kin’s national external communications strategy to promote our mission and goals, including: messaging strategies; branding; online and social media marketing; written materials; creative content development; funder development/events support; speaking engagements and presentations; and media relations.
- Lead our branding and messaging as we expand nationally, segmenting audiences and executing appropriate plans to cultivate and engage each group through multi-channel, targeted strategies.
- Manage All Our Kin’s online presence, including website and social media, to maximize engagement and ensure strong content, brand consistency, functionality, and searchability.
- Design and manage templates, style guides, brand assets, standardized messaging, and other resources to communicate the program model and organizational updates.
- Collaborate with the Development, Policy, and Technical Assistance teams to tailor marketing and communications strategies; support the production of communications materials for donor, policymaker, and provider and practitioner audiences.
- Partner with senior leaders and the Board of Directors to support them as external-facing representatives; serve as a strategic advisor and provide training to ensure all staff and Board stakeholders are equipped with strong communications tools that are aligned with current messages.
- Train and supervise junior staff members who support elements of All Our Kin’s communications work (e.g. social media accounts, internal newsletters).
- Manage and coordinate with external vendors (e.g. graphic designer).
- Support efforts to position All Our Kin as a national thought leader by cultivating and managing media relationships and drafting press releases, op-eds, and story pitches.
As the Communications Director, you will possess many, if not all, of the following professional and personal qualities, skills, and characteristics:
- You are deeply committed to All Our Kin’s core values and our model for making high-quality early care and education available to all children, and you are eager to be a part of an organization that is combatting systemic racism and injustice. You approach communications work with a deep level of respect for the communities whose stories you help amplify.
- You come to this role with 5+ years of experience in communications and/or marketing roles, with demonstrated success in roles that have required building and implementing multi-channel communications strategies and systems, with particular strength in digital communications. Prior experience in building communications programs focused on social justice, racial and gender equity, workers’ rights, or similar topics will be considered a strong plus.
- You are a skillful storyteller, able to craft engaging and accessible content for a wide variety of stakeholders. You possess excellent written and spoken communication skills and the ability to adapt key messages to different audiences, channels, and settings.
- You are entrepreneurial and energized by multi-faceted roles that involve both strategy and execution. You operate nimbly in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and organize and prioritize your work effectively.
- You are team-oriented and collaborative. You partner well with colleagues to generate ideas, develop materials, and understand the perspectives of different audiences. You build effective working relationships with a broad range of staff and Board stakeholders.
- You have experience and skill in creating compelling visual messages for a variety of channels, including social media, and have partnered effectively with graphic designers.
- You exhibit strong professional judgement, sound decision-making, and discretion with confidential information.
- Fluency in Spanish is considered a plus.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary for this role is set between $90,000 – and $110,000, commensurate with experience. Additional aspects of our compensation and benefits package include medical, dental, and vision insurance; three weeks’ paid annual vacation, as well as federal holidays and a December holiday break; and a 403(b) plan. As we scale All Our Kin’s reach, we strive to maintain the collaborative, values-centered environment that is our hallmark and to continually invest in the backbone of our organization: our talented, mission-driven team.
All Our Kin is open to candidates who are based anywhere in the U.S. as our team is currently working remotely. In the longer term, occasional travel may be required if the hired candidate is not based near one of our offices in New York City or Connecticut.
All Our Kin has engaged Koya Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume addressed to Jessica Sager HERE.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.