Somerville, MA | November 15, 2019
ActBlue builds and maintains a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic campaigns, progressive organizations, and nonprofits working to create a better future. We put power in the hands of small-dollar donors by making it easier for grassroots supporters to make their voices heard and by helping thousands of groups — from presidential candidates to environmental organizations — build people-powered movements.
As a nonprofit, we’re driven by the belief that our democracy works better when more people participate in civic life and when our campaigns and nonprofits are powered by the people they serve. That’s why we’ve built a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic candidates up and down the ballot, progressive organizations, and nonprofits. Our tools make it possible for anyone to build a grassroots campaign or movement and give donors an easy and secure way to support their favorite candidates and causes.
Since 2004, campaigns and organizations across the country have raised almost $4 billion using our tools, with an average contribution size around $35. Thousands of groups from presidential candidates to environmental organizations to local school board members count on our fundraising tools to fuel their organizing work.
Our team has a big impact on the future of our country. Each and every one of us is fully committed to our mission, and to growing our tight-knit community of political activists, tech experts, customer service pros, and more to build a team that is ready to take on even bigger challenges as we look toward 2020.
This is a full-time position located in Somerville, MA. For more information on ActBlue, please visit https://actblue.com.
ActBlue seeks an entrepreneurial and seasoned management leader to join our senior leadership team as our first Chief Impact Officer (CIO). The CIO will join ActBlue at a pivotal growth moment in our organizational evolution, as we accelerate towards the 2020 election and our ambitious goal of bringing our tools and small-dollar mission to 30,000 campaigns, committees, and nonprofits across the country.
We are looking for an exceptional operational mind to lead our diverse and vibrant team towards Democratic victory. Successful applicants will have demonstrated experience:
- managing large teams towards high-level objectives,
- fostering inclusive communication and collaboration,
- collaborating with other organizational stakeholders toward shared purpose,
- and mentoring staff through change and skill development.
The CIO will report directly to the Executive Director and also serve as a member of ActBlue’s senior leadership. The CIO will be accountable for managing a growing team of 30+ full-time employees, with several sub-teams, and 3-5 direct reports who manage other managers. The CIO will be a valued thought partner for their peers and a key liaison across the organization as we scale ActBlue staff and operations ahead of this pivotal election. While the CIO will be a chief collaborator on all of ActBlue’s organizational needs and a partner as we plot out our post 2020 objectives, their first responsibility will be driving their team to success as we expand to 30,000 different campaigns, committees, and nonprofits raising money through ActBlue in 2019 – 2020.
This position and the team are located in ActBlue’s offices in Somerville, MA.
Main responsibilities of the CIO will include:
Team and Organizational Leadership:
- Inspire and provide leadership to the ActBlue staffers recruiting, onboarding, and assisting candidates, campaigns and nonprofits using ActBlue tools to build small-dollar fundraising communities.
- Hold high standards for goal achievement while empowering their team to proactively and creatively problem-solve. Model inclusive leadership and strong collaboration across the organization.
- Maintain a relentless focus on ActBlue’s integral role in the 2020 elections while thoughtfully connecting and placing individual work within that large-scale achievement.
- Help ActBlue craft a strong, resilient management core as we scale the organization. Be a sought after leader and collaborator with senior leadership across the organization.
- Work with senior leaders across ActBlue to develop our post 2020 plans, objectives, and action plans.
Team Development and Management:
- Mentor and support a diverse and exceptional team of professionals. Diligently seek opportunities for professional development, acting as a coach and sounding board, and serve as an organizational role model in cultivating a culture of high expectations and support.
- Collaboratively develop clear and effective measures to help teams monitor, evolve, and improve their execution.
- Drive a culture of high performance and continuous development that values feedback as a learning mechanism and a commitment to quality
- Establish and monitor performance and development goals for direct reports, offer ongoing and regular feedback and support, and give attention to professional development of all folks on their team.
The Chief Impact Officer will be a seasoned, empathetic leader with a demonstrated history of achievement. They will be a strong manager who has a track record of leading diverse, highly engaged teams toward ambitious goals. They will prioritize inclusive management and communication and the building of diverse, collaborative, and empowered teams. They will have more than a decade of experience in the political organizing space with a keen awareness of Democratic politics.
Other desired qualifications:
- Experience leading teams at scaling organizations; managing change; and working across evolving functions and teams. An ability to quickly engender trust and respect while establishing consistent performance and workplace expectations.
- 15+ years of progressive responsibility and leadership in political organizing or advocacy nonprofits.
- Demonstrated experience helping a workplace define and cultivate an inclusive culture.
- Proven executive abilities: planning, communicating, managing talent in a competitive fast-paced environment, and executing to achieve ambitious goals.
- Top notch people developing and mentorship skills with a focus on mid-level managers and leading across multiple sub-teams.
- A chronicled history of helping others succeed and grow in their positions.
ActBlue has engaged Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms of Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume here.
ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with mission-driven organizations, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information, visit www.koyapartners.com.