Somerville, MA | March 10, 2021
ActBlue is a force for radically increasing grassroots political power on the left. We achieve that by building infrastructure and tech to drive long-term structural change. We’re driven by the belief that our democracy works better when more people participate in civic life and when our campaigns and nonprofits are powered by the people they serve. That’s why we’ve built a powerful online fundraising platform for Democratic candidates up and down the ballot, progressive organizations, and nonprofits.
Our tools make it possible for anyone to build a grassroots campaign or movement and give donors an easy and secure way to support their favorite candidates and causes. Every major Democratic campaign counts on ActBlue as their fundraising platform and millions of donors trust us as the place that makes it easy to give. In 2019 and 2020, over 21,000 campaigns and organizations have used our platform to raise more than $3 billion with an average contribution size of $35. We are looking to position ActBlue to be a long-term resource for the left and to grow to meet the evolving needs of the donor, campaign, and nonprofit base we serve.
How ActBlue Works
We are a nonprofit organization and we want as many groups as possible to be able to use our tools to create strong grassroots fundraising programs. Our platform is available to Democratic candidates and committees, progressive organizations, and nonprofits that share our values for no cost besides a competitive processing fee on donations.
We take care of building fundraising tools and technology so the groups using our platform can focus on engaging and communicating with their supporters.
We also know that a critical part of bringing grassroots fundraising to thousands of campaigns and organizations is helping them learn how to use the tools strategically. We have a dedicated donor support team, and our digital fundraising experts share their knowledge and work with fundraisers by providing training, insights, and other support.
Why Tens of Thousands of Campaigns, Organizations, and Nonprofits Trust Us
Even when campaigns end, our innovation continues. Our engineers are constantly A/B testing our contribution forms, creating new features, and staying on top of the latest advances in online security. And millions of donors can give to any group using our platform with a single click because they’ve saved their payment information through our ActBlue Express feature.
The best part? All of our tools and features come standard for any group using our platform, so a local food bank or candidate for school board can benefit from the same fundraising tools used by someone running for president.
For more information on ActBlue, please visit actblue.com.
ActBlue is seeking an experienced Chief Financial Officer to join their leadership team. This person will be responsible for leading and providing strategic direction for finance-related functions at ActBlue. In the course of executing their day-to-day responsibilities, the CFO will provide sound and reliable advice to the highest levels of the organization on strategic matters, contribute to the effective management of ActBlue’s financial practices, and ensure the prudent stewardship and growth of ActBlue’s financial resources.
The CFO will also add value to ActBlue by contributing to efforts to manage risk, providing expert insight for the decision-making process, and maximizing the possibilities for leveraging ActBlue’s resources to fully achieve its mission. The CFO will hold the primary responsibility of maintaining the financial health and stability of the organization as it relates to strategic and tactical financial matters. The daily financial priorities include the supervision of budget management, cost-benefit analysis, forecasting, and planning needs. The CFO will report to the Executive Director, and work closely with our financial operations team.
Key responsibilities include:
- Work with the senior leadership team to develop and adopt a financial strategy that best sets the organization up for advancing its work. Engage in a regular process of setting and reviewing the financial priorities of the organization. Contribute to decision-making concerning the future direction of the organization.
- Using the most current tools, mine ActBlue’s massive stores of data to glean insights into ActBlue’s operations, efficiencies, and organizational performance both externally and internally.
- Steward the organization’s cash and non-cash resources strategically so that ActBlue is in the best possible position to execute on its priorities and achieve its organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the leadership team to review, improve, and maintain the organization’s systems and processes for managing, preserving, and protecting ActBlue’s financial resources, including systems for financial reporting, budgeting and forecasting, reconciliation, and financial controls.
- Oversee an organizational budgeting process.
- Support and make presentations to the ActBlue Board of Directors on finance matters.
- Translate ActBlue strategy into financial plans and support the capability of ActBlue staff to understand and implement them.
- Share in the mitigation of organizational risk; map and track risks; model best practices regarding risk management and work with other leaders to implement a risk mitigation plan.
- Guide the creation of relevant analyses and forecasting reports to enable decision-making and long-term planning, and evaluate and advise on the impact of long-range planning, the introduction of new programs/strategies, and regulatory action.
- Provide strategic recommendations to the Executive Director, Leadership Team, and Board based on financial analysis and projections, cost identification and allocation, and revenue/expense analysis.
- Participate in developing new business, drafting of prospective programmatic budgets, and determining cost effectiveness of prospective service delivery.
The CFO should be adept at gathering and evaluating financial data and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership and the board of directors. The CFO will ideally have experience managing finance for a multi-faceted nonprofit.
- Fifteen+ years of finance experience in a multi-faceted organization with multiple internal financial structures.
- Expert knowledge of financial management, strategic investment, and business transactions.
- Excellent financial, accounting, analytical, and problem-solving skills; experience handling multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously; ability to plan, organize, and follow through with leadership.
- Fluency in equity, diversity, and inclusion with a strong commitment to anti-racism and other forms of empowerment.
- Superior business acumen with strong project planning and management skills.
- Experience in administrative functions, including planning, budgeting, compliance, reporting, and forecasting.
- Demonstrated success in working with teams of diverse, strong, creative people to achieve common goals; ability to work effectively with staff in other departments and with peers in other organizations.
- Experience in Democratic politics or the progressive movement is beneficial, but not required; if coming from a for-profit, board experience with a large national nonprofit, including participation on a finance or audit committee, is ideal.
- Ability to balance the demands of big-picture strategy with a day-to-day orientation to important details.
- An MBA or CPA is preferred.
Liz Lombard and Angie Sessoms of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here or email Liz directly at [email protected]. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
ActBlue is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against candidates on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability status, or veteran status. Women, people of color, LGBTQIA2S+ individuals, and members of other minority or marginalized groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.