Who We Are:
Achievement Network (ANet) is a nonprofit dedicated to educational equity. We help schools boost student learning with great teaching that’s grounded in standards, informed by data, and built on the successful practices of educators around the country.
Founded in 2005, ANet now serves roughly 800 schools educating over 230,000 students in California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, and Tennessee. Our support has consistently helped our partner schools—both district and charter—achieve breakthrough results for their students. ANet has received multiple awards and recognitions, including a prestigious Investing In Innovation (i3) grant from the federal government in 2010, New Schools Venture Fund’s “Organization of the Year” in 2011, and The NonProfit Time’s “Best Nonprofits to Work For” in 2015 and 2016.
ANet is a dynamic, values driven, team-oriented organization that is committed to the growth and development of all staff members. Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to join an exceptional team of colleagues committed to helping schools drive excellent teaching and learning by investing in each other and learning together.
ANet provides school leadership teams with tools and coaching that help them support great teaching – teaching that is grounded in standards, shaped by data, and built on great practices of educators across the country. This role presents a unique opportunity for a dynamic leader to tell the story of the work we do alongside our school partners. This person will raise up the voices of the educators in our schools, make accessible the practices that are changing outcomes for students every day, and share our learnings with the field.
Our first-ever Vice President, Communications should be driven by the urgency of the educational opportunity gap, as well as the opportunity to ensure that high standards and data-driven instruction, when implemented well, are seen as essential drivers of student learning. We are looking for a functional expert who can amplify the work of a small, high performing Marketing and Communications team and lead a multi-channel communications strategy that tells ANet’s story in ways that stick with school system leaders, educators, policy makers, funders, and other organizations working to support quality instruction.
The Vice President, Communications will manage the communications and marketing function of ANet’s Business Development Team and report into the Chief Business Development Officer.
This is a full-time position with a flexible location and a strong preference for Boston, MA. For more information on ANet please visit http://www.achievementnetwork.org.
What You’ll Do:
Lead a national, multi-channel communications strategy that supports ANet’s impact
- Understand the efforts that have driven ANet’s marketing success to date (e.g. 30% annual growth in our newsletter subscription list, 70% year-over-year growth in web traffic, recognition as one of Student Achievement Partners’ Five Blogs to Watch) and develop a national, multi-channel communications strategy that will position ANet as a trusted, practical voice of insight to system leaders and the broader education community
- In partnership with Business Development teammates and ANet’s national program team, identify priority topics of interest to the field for which we can contribute unique insights and consistently capture stories that demonstrate those insights
- Work alongside our regional leadership to develop communications strategies and content that will position ANet as trusted advisor to school and system leaders and drive our growth
- In partnership with ANet’s national and regional leaders, optimize our efforts to identify stories of impact, strong practice, and success among our partners and to raise up the voice of educators in those schools and systems
- In partnership with ANet’s research team, ensure the organization strategically harvests its data to advance insights about what works for the field
Amplify the voices of ANet’s leadership on topics including equity, assessment strategy, and the role of high quality resources in supporting great instruction
- Amplify the voices of our Senior Leadership Team members, particularly ANet’s CEO, by serving as a lead writer and content developer of strategic communications
- In partnership with our Chief Talent and Equity Officer, develop ANet’s external voice on equity in education and tell the stories of our support for equitable instructional for all students
- Leverage PR strategies to bring ANet’s internal experts’ voices to light and to get our content into the right channels to influence key decision makers
- Ensure that any national-level content is/can be adapted for local contexts that represents ANet’s voice broadly while authentically reflecting the voice of local teams and partners
- In partnership with Business Development teammates, build the communications and engagement skills of partner-facing ANet staff through trainings and coaching
- Work as a business partner to various staff members on internal communications work, either by providing content or consulting on internal-facing communications initiatives
Seize the unique opportunity presented by ANet’s Breakthrough Results Fund to put our work and our partners in the national spotlight
- Work closely with our national Program Team to develop and execute a vision for documenting ANet’s work across the four-year, ten million dollar initiative to help five school districts achieve meaningful learning growth for their students
- Work with our service delivery team and external evaluators to understand and capture the impact of the Breakthrough Results Fund through both stories and data
- Package the data and stories about our Breakthrough Results Fund into a multimedia suite of resources that makes our work accessible to the field and showcases the achievements of our partners
- Leverage the stories identified through the Breakthrough Results Fund to create a compelling case for ANet’s value as an advisor and partner to district leaders
Lead a high-performing communications function
- Engage, develop, and manage a high-performing and innovative communications team in support of the responsibilities outlined above, including hiring of 2-3 additional staff
- Lead the team to increase the strategic use of communications materials in support of organizational goals, including growth, influence, and impact
- Operate as a steward of ANet’s work at all times, proactively identifying opportunities for the communications team to develop initiatives or content that ties together the organization’s mission with other activities within the education sector more broadly
Who You Are and What You’ll Bring:
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You bring an understanding of the perspectives and unique audiences within ANet’s contexts and are eager to engage with the education community’s best thinking on the ways that education leaders can support effective practice in schools and systems
- You have successfully worked with senior leaders across a matrixed organization to lead communications strategies that elevate an organization’s value, stories of impact, and insights in order to advance its mission and goals; your work has consistently helped convince senior decision makers to partner with your organization
- You bring superb storytelling skills with the ability to clearly translate complex data and technical content into stories that influence a wide variety of audiences (through written, verbal, and/or visual communications); you have found multiple ways to bring out the authentic voices of others
- You bring experience managing high-performing and highly engaged teams and are energized by developing and coaching others to do their best work, while fostering a positive, inclusive team culture
- You have the ability to manage projects with ease, flexibility, and good humor; you have excellent listening skills and are energized by receiving input from many sources and then synthesizing that input into a coherent package
- You have successfully influenced key decision-makers through multiple communications channels including PR, complex sales, and digital channels
- You have a proven track record of success in supporting senior level colleagues to improve their communications strategy and ability to influence others
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet’s Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You have prior experience within K12 education, having worked as a district leader in a public school system and/or for an organization serving leaders in the K12 education sector
- You have a track record of leveraging communications and marketing strategies to influence education leaders at the district or state level
Compensation & Benefits:
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
ANet has engaged Koya Leadership Partners to help in this hire. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Erin Reedy here.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.