Consultant, Research – Greater Boston
Organization: Koya Leadership Partners
Location: Boston, MAExpress Interest
Are you interested in a career working with nonprofit and higher education organizations? Do you have a natural curiosity and a passion for research? Have you been seeking a company whose values around impact, diversity, innovation, respect, and joy match your own?
About Koya Leadership Partners:
Koya Leadership Partners is a retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that partners exclusively with mission-driven clients, institutions of higher education and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our clients and ensuring they have the strategies to support them.
Our founding philosophy, ‘the right person in the right place can change the world,’ guides our work with clients across the country and around the world. Our national team hails from global executive recruiting firms as well as all corners of the nonprofit sector. Our combined experience provides us with an insider’s and outsider’s view of the field, and a deep network within the nonprofit and private sectors.
A key differentiator of Koya is that each member of our firm has a genuine passion for, and commitment to, mission-driven work. This firm-wide commitment impacts our approach to our work and results in trusted and lasting partnerships with our clients and candidates.
This commitment to mission-driven work is also core to how we treat our employees. Koya is a place where employees can bring their full selves to work; staff members are developed professionally and empowered to support the personal causes that matter most to them. We believe wholeheartedly that best-in-class service to candidates and clients can, and should, go hand in hand with being a best-in-class organization for our team.
Diversity is a deeply held value at Koya. We believe diversity spans gender, race, faith, ability and sexual orientation and strive to build diverse pools of talent in our work with clients and track metrics on diversity as a performance outcome for our recruiters. We are proud of the results of this commitment: over one-third of the leaders we place are executives of color and over 50% are women. Internally, we believe in and strive to foster a workplace in which all perspectives are valued and welcomed.
Koya has been recognized by Forbes as one of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms, by Hunt Scanlon Media as one of the top 50 fastest growing executive search firms, and by Staffing Industry Analysts as a Best Staffing Firm to Work For in 2016 and 2017. In addition, Koya’s CEO & Founder, Katie Bouton, was named a 2016 Boston Brava Award Winner by SmartCEO, which recognizes high-impact women business leaders, and featured by the Boston Business Journal as an Emerging Leader for her success as founder and CEO of Koya.
To learn more about our story, our values and our portfolio of clients at Koya, please visit www.koyapartners.com.
The Research Consultant is a key member of the Koya team, responsible for developing pipelines of candidates and connectors for each executive search and providing first-level outreach support. The Research Team also collaborates with Koya’s Business Development function to deliver up to date information about potential clients and knowledge of Koya’s key sectors. From providing intelligence to inform business development opportunities to creating customized research strategies to build targeted candidate pools, the Research Team plays an integral role in Koya’s work.
In this role, you will gather market intelligence and scope out the higher education and nonprofit landscape, uncovering industry experts and thought leaders. You will work collaboratively with search teams to outline a research strategy that will serve as the road map for the search. Using external research tools and resources, such as LinkedIn and IPEDS, as well as our internal proprietary database, you will discover and share target organizations and individuals for each search. You will proactively develop relationships with candidates and connectors, build high-quality candidate pools, and close searches more efficiently and effectively. Working closely with our search teams throughout the lifecycle of the search, you will put problem-solving skills to work to come up with creative solutions. The Research Consultant will report directly to the Senior Director of Research.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing team within Koya. The ideal candidate is intellectually curious and a natural detective. You must be both relationship and task-oriented, able to collaborate with team members and juggle competing priorities. At Koya, our work is fast-paced and ever-changing. We do whatever it takes to provide superior service to our clients, while always upholding our key values. We have found that the most successful research consultants are persistent, organized, flexible and detail-oriented.
Research Consultant responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate closely with the research team and search leads to develop and execute the research strategy that serves as road maps for our searches
- Act as project manager for the research needs of the search: create agendas and conduct weekly check in calls, follow up with notes and actions items
- Develop lists of target organizations and individuals across a wide range of executive searches
- Execute advanced research across an array of public and private sources, including Koya’s proprietary database, LinkedIn Recruiter, GuideStar, IPEDS, social media sites and tools, publications, and other informational sources on the web
- Confirm contact information and oversee outreach efforts to potential candidates and networking sources
- Assist search leads with referral identification and outreach
- Efficiently and effectively input, retrieve and update information on individuals and organizations in Koya’s proprietary database
- Conduct comprehensive compensation analyses using a range of research tools and resources
- At search close, audit and analyze search and research metrics and track high level contacts
- Collaborate with search leads on business development efforts
- Provide detailed competitive intelligence and landscape analysis for clients and prospects
- Develop market maps of the nonprofit sector in target geographies and industries
- Build out internal knowledge and resources for research and search teams
- Follow and share industry trends and best practices and develop tools and systems to improve efficiencies
- Maintain systems and processes to ensure consistent and accurate data capture
- Conduct training and onboarding for new staff members on research techniques and internal database
- Participate in internal Koya initiatives, including, but not limited to, staff meetings, retreats, and special projects
Ideal candidates will have a deep passion for the mission-driven sector and a desire to work in a growing, values-driven organization that prioritizes impact, collaboration and innovation. You will have exceptional research, project management and communications skills and the ability to manage multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines.
Other desired qualifications include:
- Strong Internet research abilities (experience working with LinkedIn a plus)
- Experience working in higher education and/or nonprofits a plus
- Superb attention to detail and follow-through with a strong customer service orientation
- Proven ability to self-direct, be proactive and take initiative while juggling competing priorities
- Ability to multitask while maintaining integrity of work and high degree of attention to detail
- Previous experience working in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Ability to manage up, adjusting to different work and communication styles
- A willingness to do whatever it takes to help the team move forward and ensure client satisfaction
- Experience working with commercially licensed or proprietary database systems
- Strong technology skills; Competency in Microsoft products expected (expertise in Excel a plus)
- Flexibility and a sense of humor
- A desire to play a key role in a dynamic, constantly growing company that is committed to strengthening the mission-driven sector
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Koya provides an exceptional benefits package to all employees. Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. All full-time employees receive four weeks of Personal Time Off and two additional weeks off for firm-wide closures in August and December. Koya also offers a professional development stipend, quarterly cell phone reimbursement and an annual fitness reimbursement. Koya’s “Passion Project” stipend supports the opportunity for all employees to increase their personal philanthropic efforts and contribute to the nonprofit cause of their choosing. The Research Consultant role is a full-time, exempt role at Koya.
Tameka Horner (Manager, Recruitment and Training) is leading the Research Consultant search. Please submit a compelling cover letter and resume to Tameka here.
At Koya, we don’t just accept difference – we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve. Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences. We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.