San Francisco or Washington, DC | September 27, 2019
We inspire women to run, we hone their skills to win.
Emerge’s mission is to change the face of politics to create an inclusive democracy by recruiting, training and providing a powerful network of Democratic women who want to run and win an elected office.
How we do it:
- Recruit: We find amazing Democratic women to run for office and recruit them into our training programs.
- Train: We teach Democratic women the cutting-edge campaign tools and techniques they need to run and win
- Connect: We provide our alumnae with a powerful network of fellow alums, elected officials and connections who can open doors.
Emerge focuses on intensive, state-based candidate trainings and building a diverse, inclusive network to support our alumnae. We are the only national women’s political organization that provides alumnae with local and national networks of support, which includes political leaders, staff, alumnae, boards and volunteers. Since we were founded in 2002, Emerge has trained more than 4,000 Democratic women to run with 735 currently serving in elected office.
Emerge oversees locally-based training programs and expands operations to new regions often where women’s voices are left out of government. We partner with local and national political groups who empower communities and work to increase our offerings to meet the growing need for candidate training programs across the country.
To learn more about Emerge, please visit https://emergeamerica.org.
Emerge is at an exciting moment of transition and is seeking a results-oriented, forward-thinking, innovative, and strategic leader to take the helm of a vibrant organization and lead it through an exciting period of growth. Reporting directly to the Board of Directors, the President will assume responsibility for advancing organizational mission, vision and values, managing a national team and working collaboratively with staff, executive leadership and the Board of Directors to steward growth and sustainability of the organization.
The position calls for a dynamic individual with leadership values that are centered on inclusivity, growth and agility. A successful President will be responsible for positioning Emerge as a leader in political empowerment for Democratic women leaders.
This is a full-time position located in either Washington DC or San Francisco. The compensation for the President will be between $160-$190,000 or commensurate with experience.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide oversight of mission and set strategic vision of the organization;
- Bring inspirational leadership and direction to all staff and state Executive Directors and ensure the continued development and management of a professional and efficient organization with an inclusive, collaborative, and values-based culture
- Establish a positive and collaborative working relationship with the entire network and all state affiliates;
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization, representing the Emerge network and movement in and on all media channels;
- Serve as chief fundraiser for the organization, ensuring that the flow of funds into Emerge contributes to the continuous progress of our mission;
- Oversee and ensure optimal financial management and performance of Emerge;
- Provide thought leadership within the political community on women’s leadership;
- Cultivate a strong and transparent working relationship with the Board and ensure open communication to track financial and programmatic performance.
Emerge is seeking candidates with executive level leadership in political and/or non-profit settings, who are committed to building an organization reflective of the incredible diversity of our Democratic Party. Applications from people of color, LGBTQIA+ individuals, people with disabilities, and members of other underrepresented groups are encouraged.
At the core, the President will need to have the ability to have the passion of a spokesperson and fundraiser, the mind of an innovative strategist and a commitment to the mission of increasing the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office.
The ideal candidate will have the following competencies and characteristics:
- Passionate Advocate: The President will be deeply motivated by Emerge’s core mission: to increase the number of Democratic women leaders from diverse backgrounds in public office through recruitment, training, and providing a powerful network. They will bring and develop strategic relationships with partner organizations, funders, candidates and their teams to increase Emerge’s visibility and momentum
- Proven expert with relevant content expertise: They will bring a body of knowledge and professional networks that are relevant to Emerge’s work and mission, including an understanding of the national political landscape, relevant networks, and a commitment to building an organization reflective of the incredible diversity of our Democratic Party
- Strategic and Visionary Leader: The President will be a creative visionary with a track record of developing new ideas, seizing opportunities, and building support for ambitious goals. The President will bring an inspirational and entrepreneurial approach to growth and impact, including a demonstrated ability to forge dynamic partnerships and coalitions and drive measurable growth. They will be a proven thought leader on women’s political leadership issues and Democratic politics
- Ambassador and Spokesperson: As an exceptional communicator and relationship builder, the President will represent Emerge externally with a diverse set of stakeholders and partners. They will be comfortable navigating and operating in a range of settings and contexts, from government to nonprofit to business to community organizations
- Proven Fundraiser: The President will possess deep comfort and demonstrated success with a range of political fundraising, from institutions to individual donors, foundations, and corporations. Dynamic, energetic, and creative, they will inspire confidence in donors, partners, and other constituents, and will be able to establish strong working relationships that further Emerge’s mission
- Experienced Diversity Equity and Inclusion Leader: They will have demonstrated experience leading equity and justice efforts with an organization and have the ability to develop strong relationships to create equitable and inclusive environments that welcome, consider, and adapt to different perspectives
- Authentic Collaborator: The President will be constantly seeking new partnerships and engaging in collaborative planning and implementation in the service of Emerge’s vision to change the face of power, politics and leadership in the country
- Open-minded Listener: The President will bring a highly consultative approach to leadership, as well as a desire to continually learn and listen. They will possess the ability to authentically show up as a partner and implement best practice programs and partnerships in ways that are contextually appropriate as well as effective
- Seasoned Organizational Leader: The President will bring the ability to effectively lead and manage a complex organization with multiple layers of stakeholders and build a positive, highly engaged team and culture
- Relevant Content Expertise/Knowledge: They will bring a body of knowledge and professional networks that are relevant to Emerge’s work and mission, such as executive level leadership in political and/or non-profit settings and a commitment to building an organization reflective of the incredible diversity of our Democratic Party
In addition to the above, the Emerge President will offer the following personal characteristics:
- Ability to approach internal and external work with deep cultural competence and a social justice lens
- Extremely high level of emotional intelligence and flexible, intuitive relationship management skills
- Exceptional communications skills, including an authentic ability to build relationships in a broad range of communities and groups and the ability to build support for a common vision across diverse stakeholders
- Patience, persistence, and resilience: The ability to hold on to a vision or desired outcome regardless of obstacles, coupled with the nimbleness to change tactics and approach when necessary
- Comfortable giving and receiving critical feedback and having difficult conversations
- A sense of humor and the desire to partner with passionate, motivated, and engaged colleagues to create social change
Molly Brennan and Nadine Coleman of Koya Leadership Partners have been exclusively retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials here. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Emerge is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBT applicants.
At Koya, we don’t just accept difference –we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our team, our clients, and the communities we serve. Koya is an equal opportunity employer fully committed to creating an environment and team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, styles, and experiences.
We encourage all to apply because we believe a diversity of voices leads to better discussions, decisions, and outcomes for everyone.
Koya does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, military status, veteran status, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
About Koya Leadership Partners
Koya Leadership Partners is a national retained executive search and human capital consulting firm that works exclusively with nonprofits and social enterprises. We deliver measurable results, finding exceptionally talented people who truly fit the unique culture of our client organizations and ensuring that organizations have the resources and strategies to support them. For more information about Koya Leadership Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.